Monday, August 23, 2021

Week 14

You may have been surprised by the melon in your box last week.  I wasn't sure we would have enough.  Kelly was in Montana last weekend and I was keeping watch on the melons - basically just hoping that they weren't ready to pick.  They waited.  I was thankful.  I was excited that Kelly got to see his family, particularly his grandparents.  He floated the Missouri with his brother, his stepdad made them ebelskiver and they got takeout from some places they have been eating from for 40 years.  It was nostalgic and relaxing.  I particularly love that Kelly's dad bought my dad's 1938 Ford Delux after my father passed away and Kelly got to cruise that around Helena while he was home.  

While Kelly and I have weathered the pandemic just fine thus far but we both feel like we have lost valuable visits with family.  We are not alone in this of course, but it is difficult sometimes. 

I know we have many beautiful days ahead of us but the seasons are changing.  I can feel the shift.  I love these few weeks of late August and early September.  They can be gruelling weeks on the farm but the changing light, the cooler nights, the bounty make it worth while.  In the next couple weeks we will begin to bring onions in, plant cover crop and prepare for the dark and rainy days ahead.

Cherry Tomatoes

Potatoes

Zucchini

Lettuce or Salad Mix

Shishito Peppers - Large Only

Bell Pepper - Small Only

Cantaloupe - Large Only

Watermelon - Small Only

No comments:

Post a Comment