Monday, August 9, 2021

Week 12

Last year I made this simple and delicious soup during corn season. I loved using the corn cob stock and decided I would make some risotto with corn stock instead of chicken stock.  I didn't end up getting a chance last year before local corn was done for the season and it has been on my mind ever since.  Last night I adapted a recipe from the New York Times and really enjoyed it.  There is a lushness to risotto made from homemade chicken stock that this didn't have, even with a bit of heavy cream, but the flavors were lovely.  I also grilled some green beans and chopped and tossed them some diced tomatoes and olive oil.  Soup and risotto might not be at the top of your list this week with the high temps, but I think corn is the ultimate summer food no matter how it is prepared.

Corn - White corn was always my dad's favorite so I chose this variety thinking of him.  We have two successions of corn this year and hopefully we will have some yellow corn in September. 

Cherry Tomatoes

Zucchini

Cauliflower or Green Beans - whatever you didn't have last week

Red Onions

Radish - Radishes aren't heat lovers but I seeded some right after the last hot spell in part because a customer has been raving about a quinoa and black bean salad from the cookbook Naturally Nourished that you top with a radish salsa.  If the radishes look horrible we will sub something else or perhaps you will have a few radishes and a few carrots.  Update - The radishes look horrible so there is also a head of lettuce in your box along with a small bunch of ugly radishes.  They aren't pithy and the eating quality is still good but while they have survived the heat okay they have been attacked by symphylans.  We first spotted them in a different field a couple years ago.  They are difficult to manage/control.  Fortunately other than a few red daikon radishes in the same bed there aren't any other root veggies in that field.

Parsley - Large Only


No comments:

Post a Comment