Sunday, August 26, 2018

Week 13

We got a lot more of you eggplant than I expected last week.  Mainly, because as it turns out many of you didn't want it.  Which is fine, I know many people find it bland and/or dislike the texture.  I really like it, but only eat it once or maybe twice a season because I have a small allergic reaction to it.  I did cook some up last week though and it was fantastic.  I sliced it long ways and grilled it with some zucchinis and orange peppers.  I then roughly chopped everything and tossed it together.  We had it with roasted potatoes, grilled chicken and this amazing herby sauce called zhug I just discovered.  A friend had encouraged me to make it earlier this summer and I just got around to it last week.  It is so delicious.  I looked at a bunch of recipes and then just winged it.  I used less cardamon than the link above and added some lemon juice.  I also used jalapenos which for me had just the right amount of spice.  It is so delicious, I can't wait to eat some more.  I also wasn't bothered by the eggplant which means I will go for twice this summer and eat it again since there is another recipe on my summer bucket list with eggplant.  We are growing a beautiful red pepper from Uprising Seeds that they say is used to make a roasted pepper and eggplant spread in the Balkans called ajvar.  In addition to all the veggies we have been eating I have been loving the arroz con leche palletas from the corner store.  It tastes like an horchata popsicle with raisins in it!  Probably a lot like eggplant, not for everyone, but loved by a few. 

We will be continuing the onion haul and trudging through the fall carrots this week, hopefully with some cleaner air.  I am happy to have the doors and windows open again.  It is also fun to be back to wearing a winter hat all day, but that might just be me!

Carrots
Lettuce - We have a nice variety at the moment but not a lot of one in particular and the weather looks mild for Monday so you will choose your own from the selection on the stand.
Broccoli
Cabbage
Potatoes
Tomato - Cherry toms for everyone and a slicer for the large shares.
Garlic - Large Only
Eggplant - Hope to get it to all of you who didn't have it last week.


No comments:

Post a Comment