Sunday, August 12, 2018

Week 11

When tomatoes first started to appear in abundance I spent an entire week eating tomatoes and mozzarella daily.  Sometimes on their own, sometimes in pasta, on bread or on pizza.  I won't even admit how much olive oil I went through that week!  I have slowed down a bit although I really never tire of tomatoes.  We had shakshuka for dinner last night which is an easy meal and a great way to use up the tomatoes that were almost too ripe for anything other than pig treats on my counter.   So while tomatoes are still finding their way into many of our meals we have a bit more variety going on now that I am done binging.  I have been looking over my summer bucket list of recipes and I realize I am getting a little behind.   The mild panic began when I found a picture on my phone for a recipe for squash blossom soup from a cookbook I saw in Mexico and realized I didn't even have it on my list.  Tonight we are having an old favorite that is on the list, a Rick Bayless recipe for zucchini tacos and if I am feeling ambitious a peach cobbler.   Hopefully I will find some time this week to explore new recipes as well. 

Things feel refreshed on the farm after the expected, but also unexpected (it down poured here) rain over the weekend.  The rain waters things in a way our limited irrigation just can't do.  Although rain was predicted all week and we only accepted the forecast around 5pm on Friday when we decided that we should probably get the onions that had fallen down, a sign of maturity, out of the field.  It was only small portion of them but I imagine many more will fall this week.

Those of you who didn't get Sun Jewel melons will get them this week.

Carrots
Potatoes
Green Beans
Herb Choice - Lots of basil, dill, parsley and a little cilantro to choose from.
Zucchini
Cucumbers
Slicing Tomato
Tomatillos - Small Only
Watermelon - Large Only

No comments:

Post a Comment