Sunday, August 19, 2018

Week 12

Despite the sunny days, I am starting to feel a shift in seasons.   For me the first sign is when it is no longer light out when I get up.  Another sign is that zucchini sales are starting to pick up.  Our zucchini sales dip when zucchinis are abundant in people's gardens, but as summer starts to fade as does the productivity of a zucchini planted in May.  Regardless of how I might be feeling, the forecast has some very nice weather in it this week.  We will try to make a dent in weeding and thinning the fall carrots and hopefully get most of our onions out of the field and drying down this week.

Lil Gem Lettuce - I know I have said it before but I love this stuff!
Eggplant  - Because we don't grow a lot of eggplant this is always a multi-week process to get them for everyone.
Cherry Tomatoes
Some sort of Melon - not sure if it will be dealer's choice or if we will have a display out for you to choose from but melon season is going fast this year.
Sweet Bell Peppers
Red Onion
Collards - Large Only - If you have never had the collards and black eyed peas from Our Table you are missing out.  There isn't anything fancy about it.  Sauteed onions, garlic, collards black eyed peas and some seasoning.  It is delicious. 

A CSA member told me of Mennonite tradition in her house.  Watermelon is eaten with small pieces of fried dough called roll kuchen.  She gave me a photo copy out of her cookbook with the recipe her mother always made.  I read a bit about it because I love food traditions and there are lots of similar but different recipes out there.  Hers uses sour cream, some call for oil, some margarine, some have cream.   Some people like them crispy and others soft.  I didn't get a chance to try it last week, but hopefully this week.  Since I have yet to make it, I won't include a recipe but I googled roll kuchen and tons of recipes came up.  Let me know if you try one.






No comments:

Post a Comment