Monday, September 22, 2014

Week 16

There are few things more beautiful than a sunny fall afternoon.  The warmth, the dryness in the air and a light breeze rustling the leaves all reminds me of growing up in New England.  I hope you all had a chance to enjoy the weekend.

We are still hauling squash.  Some years it is done in one push and others it is dragged out with a couple truck loads at the end of each day.  I don't know that one is really better than the other.  The nights have been mild and I am not worried about the squash but like any large project it is nice to just get it done.

Some of you seemed burdened by the cabbage you got last week.  I know, they look big and when you start shredding them they expand and take over your kitchen counter.  It breaks my heart just a little to think you don't love cabbage- it is such a wonderful vegetable and one of the few that I eat all year round and always enjoy.  I will include a couple recipes at the end because I have a feeling many of you still have the one you got last week rolling around your produce drawer!

We are starting off squash season with delicata squash.  It is the only winter squash we have eaten thus far and it was fantastic.  I just sliced it into "fries" and roasted them.

Delicata Squash
Broccoli
Sweet Peppers
Hot Pepper
Cucumbers
Cherry Tomatoes
Tomatoes
Radish
Kale
Lettuce-Large Only
Potatoes-Large Only

We like this red cabbage dish.  I usually use less clove and I often add a little extra lemon juice.  Sometimes I will add a bit of red wine vinegar and a tablespoon or so of sugar to make it more like  sweet and sour cabbage.

Red Cabbage with Cranberries

Cabbage and apples go great together.  In the dish below they are cooked but they are also great together raw in a slaw/chopped salad type of thing.

Braised Green Cabbage with Apples

Squash and Dry Beans

No comments:

Post a Comment