Monday, September 1, 2014

Week 13

Growing up in a resort town, Labor Day marked the end of summer.  The throngs of tourists crowded onto the ferry and headed home.  The residents prepared for another school year and more importantly in our small island town, a new football season.  It was hard to live on Nantucket and be indifferent towards football.  I spent many Saturdays sitting on the cold metal bleachers with my friends.  The year I graduated high school was probably the last time I cared at all about who won a football game.  That was until I moved out here to live with Kelly.  If we are around the house, or working in the washroom on a Sunday (or a Monday, or Thursday) the radio will be tuned into the Seahawks game and I have to admit over the years I have actually started to look forward to listening to them.  For one, it is a sign that fall is coming, that sleeping in is around the corner, that sitting on the couch with a cup of coffee and watching it get light out will be more than just a thought any day now.  Football, as it did many years ago, now reminds me again of fall.  We will be ditching our radio for the first game in favor of hanging out with some friends and watching it on television.  A football game is also a perfect excuse to eat football food.  We have meat birds in our orchard that will be ready to slaughter soon along with a freezer that still has a bunch of wings from last year's birds in it.  To go with the wings I am going to make some baked potato skins.  I know they haven't been a big deal since 1990 but since that may have been the last time I had them and because we are growing russet potatoes for the first time this year I am going to make some.  You have russet potatoes in your  boxes today.  We didn't grow them for potato skins, we grew them because I was curious.  Would a russet we grew ourselves taste any different than one from the grocery store?  I dug one plant last week and there were some nice decent sized potatoes as well as some smaller ones (mini baked potato skins - so cute).  They looked really nice but I haven't had a chance to cook any yet.  We hope you enjoy your vegetables.

Lettuce
Mixed Bell Peppers
Broccoli
Russet Potatoes
Sungold Cherry Tomatoes
Kale - The kale this time of year is very tender.
Cucumbers
Tuscan Melon - Large Only Some of you received one of these last week.  The remainder of large shares will get on this week
Eggplant - Large Only
Arugula - Large Only

We pulled our first winter squash out of the field last week - pie pumpkins.
There are still many signs of summer around the farm as well.






No comments:

Post a Comment