Monday, September 30, 2013

Week 17

It is still dark out and I can't see the rain yet but I can hear it.  Ha, as I just wrote that I heard on the radio that Olympia has had a record amount of rainfall this September.  We have had eight inches!  It isn't keeping us out of the  garden completely although we have cut a few days short this month.  It was a mad dash last Thursday and Friday to get all tractor work done and the cover crop out before the heavy rain started falling.  Hopefully the seed germinates.  Even though the weather forecast called for rainy weather I don't think either Kelly or I expected to see standing water in our fields.

Yikes, hopefully the thunder and lightening calms down a bit before it is time to leave the house.

Rainbow Carrots - These look really pretty in a salad or in spring rolls.  
White Russian Kale
Red Onion
Broccoli
Brussel Sprouts
Orange Kabocha - When people are looking for a pie pumpkin I often try to sell them on an orange kabocha.  We do sell a good pie pumpkin but I love the orange kabocha for breads, cookies and pies.  Last thanksgiving we made "pumpkin" ice cream with one.  It has a sweet, dry flesh that is also good for soups and squash purees.  The variety we grow is called sunshine.  
Summer Turnip
Poblano Peppers - Large Only


See you this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment