Monday, September 23, 2013

Week 16

Fall arrived Sunday in the most fantastic way.  I did the co-op delivery Sunday morning and the streets were empty of people but full of blowing leaves, twigs and puddles.  I was so excited to go home and do nothing.  Except I forgot I don't like to do nothing.  But, I don't like to do housework either so nothing it was at least for a little while.

Our cover crop seed arrived this week.  We bought some Washington grown seed from Sequim.  We typically plant rye and vetch but are experimenting with some triticale (similar to rye) and some fava beans as our legume this year.  We always mix a grass/cereal grain and a legume for our winter cover crop.  The grass is fast growing, good for weed suppression and for preventing erosion.  When tilled in it will add organic matter to the soil.  Legumes grow much slower but can convert nitrogen from the air into the soil when they are tilled in in the spring.  Although we do add additional fertilizer, usually in the form of a pelleted chicken manure, cover crops are an important part of our nutrient plan and contribute to the health of our fields.

Carrots
Lettuce
Delicata Squash
Napa Cabbage
Beets
Leeks - The most common way to use leeks is in potato leek soup but they can be used in other dishes as well.   They are great braised in a little chicken stock and white wine or in any kind of braised meat dish.  They are delicious with mussels and clams too.  The easiest way to clean them is to trim off the roots but leave the base of the leek.  Cut off the dark green tops.  Slice the leek in half long ways and soak in a large bowl of water.  Swish them around a little so the dirt between the leaves falls out.  
Frying Peppers
Zucchini - Because it is late in the season and we don't have much heat I am not sure how many squash you will get but I thought we would try to squeeze in one more harvest for you.
Cherry Tomatoes - Large Only
Cauliflower - Large Only

Soba Noodles with Napa Cabbage

I am including a link for a soba noodle recipe.  Although the recipe is fairly light the heartiness of buckwheat noodles makes them good cold weather food.  The recipe also calls for edamame which some of you may still have staring at you when you open your produce draw.  I don't always use them when I make this recipe.  I just use whatever veggies I need to use up but I do really like napa cabbage in it.

Soba Noodle

No comments:

Post a Comment