Sunday, June 17, 2018

Week 3

Last winter I put my name on the wait list at the library for the cookbook Six Seasons.  I waited and waited and read some more about what a great book it was and waited a bit longer.  Months went by and I slowly moved up the list.  I try really hard not to buy cookbooks.  I am not against the idea of buying a cookbook, I am just against the idea of finding a spot in my house for another cookbook.  I was so sure that I would love it.  I ended up buying it and here it is two months later and I have only made one thing out of it.  Anyway, my goal for the week is to make at least one dish from it.  Hopefully it is a winner and I will give you a link next week.  It can be hard when our days are so full to prepare a new dish.  Instead we fall back on old favorites.  I am sure you can relate.  I love Vietnamese Bun, rice noodle dishes with veggies and lots of herbs.  I am including a recipe for a shrimp one that is perfect for the warm weather this week.  I make the dressing in this recipe, but I use more more rice noodles and typically put carrots in it and this time of year I would add snap peas as well.   It is great/better with all the herbs but also good with just cilantro.  We do the same dish subbing lemongrass marinated grilled pork chops and that is delicious too.  There is also a link below for recipe for Strawberry Horchata.  I made that out of the cookbook Nopolito (great and it doesn't have 5000 other people on a list hoping to check it out) in early spring with some of last year's frozen strawberries.  I am hoping to make it again this week with fresh berries.  It involves a little planning but the active time preparing it is minimal. 


Lettuce
Carrots
Beets
Scallions
Snap Peas
Strawberries
Cabbage - Large Only
Additional Item - Large Only  I am not sure what this will be...snow peas, baby fennel and zucchinis are all in the running. 

Vietnamese Shrimp Bun
Strawberry Horchata


1 comment:

  1. Hi! Would it still be possible to receive a weekly farm share box this year? You can contact me at cramer.kristine@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete