Sunday, September 24, 2017

Week 17

I try to resist cooking fall/winter food this time of year because I know that we have a long winter and many squash dishes ahead of us.  However, the weather last week convinced me that I needed to light a fire and put a pot of soup on the stove.  We had delicata soup and grilled sandwiches with sharp cheddar, apple and caramelized onion.  Delicata isn't my usual go to squash for soup,  but we wanted to give them a test run before we sold them so it seemed like a natural choice.  I roasted the squash and then pureed the soup with the skin on.  Maybe not the best choice without a more powerful blender, but nothing a mesh strainer couldn't fix!  It really hit the spot and the delicata tastes great. You will get an assortment of squash in your boxes over the next few weeks.  They will be fine for months as long as they are stored in a dry spot.

Lettuce
Carrots
Sweet Corn (hopefully)
Delicata - The skin on these is edible.  This is, in my opinion, the most versatile squash we grow.  We use it in curries, burritos, on pizza and and sliced into rings and roasted or cubed in a roasted veggie mix.  It is also a great squash for stuffing.  The seeds are small and awesome toasted.
Sweet Onions
Spinach - Small Only
Potatoes - Large Only
Beets - Large Only - Small shares will get beets next week.
Chard - Large Only


No comments:

Post a Comment