Sunday, June 4, 2017

Week 1

What a difference a year makes.  In my first post of last year, I commented that I felt as if the farm share should have started earlier.  We had been bunching carrots for a few weeks and we had just started to pick zukes and cukes.  I wrote that Kel and I had a hard time narrowing down what to put in your boxes.  Well, this year is a different story.  We sat at the kitchen table this morning staring at a list that said lettuce, chard and turnips and we sat in silence for a moment or two.  In the end we came up with a good list.  Some years the variety just comes a little slower than other years. The snap peas and carrots you may have been hoping for will just taste that much better next week!

As always, I spent a good chunk of my free time this winter looking through cookbooks.  Kelly and I briefly stuck with a plan to each make a new recipe every week.  I would recommend checking out A Modern Way to Cook and a Modern Way to Eat by Anna Jones if you need a little veggie inspiration.  The recipes tend to be pretty straight forward and most are quick.  I am including a link to one of her recipes below.

If you are unsure what something is/what to do with something please ask.  We will do our best to give you ideas and often another farm share member will chime in as well.

Head Lettuce 

Swiss Chard - Anna Jones has lots of chard recipes.  Chard is veggie that I don't love on it's own but I have come to enjoy it when it is prepared right and we tossed it into a lot of things this spring when I grew tired of winter kale.  The recipe for chard and black eyed peas is full of flavor.

Green Garlic -  The entire thing can be eaten.  It will be milder than cured garlic.  It should be kept in a bag in your fridge until you are ready to eat it.

Salad Turnips - Erin, the produce manager at the West side Co-op, loves, loves, loves this soup.  Although I haven't made it, her enthusiasm makes me believe that it has to be delicious.  It is also, easy and uses both the greens and the turnips.  It is an Alice Water's recipe.

Beets - We roasted some of these the other night and had them with a dollop of sour cream mixed with a little yogurt, lemon, lemon zest, green garlic and salt.  

Herb Choice - Basil (limited), Cilantro, Dill

Cabbage - Large Only

Salad Mix - Large Only

Next Week Sneak Peak
Carrots
Scallions
Snap Peas

No comments:

Post a Comment