Monday, July 14, 2014

Week 6

We did our weekly farm walk about to make a list for the week last night and I am floored at how much stuff has grown, particularly the weeds.  My favorite sighting was a melon already as big as my fist.  We are going to go out on a limb and say you are all getting cherry tomatoes tomorrow in celebration of and because of the fantastic weather (if you like hot and sunny) that we have been having.  I had my first tomato sandwich of the season today and it was great.  I also decided to try a customer's recommendation.  He eats cucumber, peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwiches.  I bet some of you feel a little nauseous just reading that.  Anyway, I love mayonnaise and cucumbers and peanut butter isn't bad so why not give it a try.  Well, it wasn't horrible but I wouldn't recommend you using your cucumber to make one!  Instead perhaps you should use those beets from last week(I know some of you haven't eaten them yet) and make a cucumber, beet and goat cheese sandwich. A couple slices on some tuna fish or egg salad sounds good to me but if I was you I would leave the peanut butter in the cupboard.

I meant to take another picture of the winter squash.  It has also grown an amazing amount in the last week.  We have one variety, new to us this year, called Hubba Hubba.  It has a hubbard squash shape but is suppose to be smaller.  I saw one plant today that had already set 10 fruits.  Hopefully it is delicious because it seems to be prolific.  Plus, I am getting a kick out of saying hubba hubba in a deep voice every time I walk by the row of squash.

We wish you a week of good eating.

Carrots
Cucumbers
Scallions
Swiss Chard
Green Beans
Cherry Tomatoes
Raspberries - Large Only
Lettuce - Large Only




No comments:

Post a Comment