Monday, July 7, 2014

Week 5

In my kitchen as a child there was a small antique wood framed slate chalkboard on the wall.  I always loved it and when I spotted a small chalkboard at a yard sale when I first moved to town I picked it up and hung it in our kitchen.  When I bought it someone had written the word fall and drawn a tree with swirling leaves.  I liked it and have kept up the seasonal theme, sort of.  At the moment there is still a winter quote on it from Albert Camus.

In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer

I wrote it on there during the dreariest days of winter to be taken literally but of course Camus meant it more metaphorically.  Spring has come and gone and I need a summer quote.  This is most likely the last week of peas in bountiful quantities and it looks like we will be picking beans by the end of the week.  Cherry tomatoes are just starting to pick.  Tomorrow marks our last seeding of fall cabbages and broccoli for transplant.  Sometimes I feel like farming is like riding a train screaming through the countryside with things passing in a blur.

Last week we uncovered the winter squash which we managed to plant at all three of the gardens we lease.  I took this picture of the squash at Shincke road yesterday.  




If any of you would like to take a walk around the gardens on Shincke, you are welcome to do so any Monday you pick-up your box.  Kelly or I would be happy to join you(if you come after 5:00) if you want company and commentary.  

Beets
Head Lettuce
Cilantro - There is a recipe below for a lentil salad we love this time of year that calls for cilantro.   I also have been making a dressing that is similar to Caesar but I leave out the mustard, trade the lemon juice for lime juice and add a bunch of cilantro.  As with Caesar dressing the egg yolk makes it rich and creamy.  
Snap Peas
Onions- Most likely some small Walla Wallas that we are going to bunch
Raspberries
Garlic
Summer Squash - Large Only
Cauliflower - Large Only

Last night we made this salad with wheat bulgar because it it what we had on hand.  I always add extra cilantro because we love it.  It is really versatile and the lime zest is a nice change of pace from the lemon flavor that one usually finds in lentil salads.  It is good warm or cold. 





No comments:

Post a Comment