Monday, September 3, 2012

Week 13

Carrots
Lettuce
Red and/or Yellow Sweet Peppers
Green Bell Pepper - Large Share Only
Tongue of Fire Shell Beans - This is one of the beans we grow for dry beans but it also makes a great fresh shell bean.
Sweet Onions
Sungold Cherry Tomatoes
Red Slicing Tomato
Juanne Flamme and Glacier Salad Tomatoes - If you have a home garden and struggle getting tomatoes to ripen I highly recommend the Juanne Flamme.  It really cranks out tomatoes.  I read about it in the Barbara Kingsolver book Animal, Vegetable, Miracle a few winters ago.  When I saw a pack of seeds at the Co-Op I decided to give it a try and have been really happy with it.  The downside for us is that it doesn't sell great.  Most people want big slicers or cherries.  The golf ball size is always a tough sell.  As a result we have a bunch of them for you to help yourself to today.
Flat Leaf Parsley
Eggplant - Large Share Only (coming soon for small shares)
Green Cabbage - Large Share Only

Shell Bean Recipe
You will need to remove the beans from the pod and cook them in water for about 30 to 40 minutes or until they are a texture you like.  Sometimes I like to throw in a little onion and a bay leaf while they are cooking.  They will turn grey when you cook them. 

I wish our timing was better.  Corn and fresh shellers make an amazing succotash.  I am including a link to a recipe from a blog I read.  I make something similar with corn, beans and whatever I have on hand.  While it wouldn't be a succotash without corn I am sure it would still be good.

Smitten Kitchen Summer Succotash

Shell Beans are great in salads.

Shell Bean Salad

While your beans are cooking chop up a little onion, one small clove garlic and some parsley.  Mix up your favorite vinaigrette and toss it in a bowl with the garlic, onion and parsley.  Chop up one large tomato.  Drain the beans and mix everything together adding salt and pepper as needed.  Serve room temperature or refrigerate until you are ready to eat.

Fresh Shellers are also delicious added to your favorite chicken or vegetable soup recipe and they are good with braised chicken and vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment