Monday, August 27, 2012

Week 12

We got all our onions out of the ground before the rain came.  However, there was some downy mildew on the foliage and it might prevent them from storing well.  It is a mildew that shows up as a grey/purple mildew on the foliage under the right conditions.  We did our best to prevent it by keeping the beds weeded for good airflow around the plants and not overhead watering.  But our night time temps and the moist foggy mornings were the perfect conditions.  The best case scenario is we loose a few.  At the other end of the spectrum is us hauling them all to the dump in two months.  In terms of size and yield they are the best onions we have grown.  I am keeping my fingers crossed that they will dry down and cure properly.

In addition to onions we also grow shallots and leeks.  This is our first year growing shallots and there are some in your box today.  We love them sliced thin and fried in a bit of oil until they are crisp.  They are delicious as a garnish on lettuce wraps or a salad.

This is also our first year growing collard greens.  When I first moved to North Carolina  I was shopping at a farm stand when I saw fresh butter beans.  I asked the woman next to me how I should cook them.  She responded in a thick southern drawl that I needed to start with some fat back.  I quickly learned that many southern veggie recipes start with fat back, ham hocks or bacon and cook for a long time.  As you browse your cookbooks or the internet  I am sure you will see many southern style recipes.  There should be healthier options out there as well.  They don't need to be cooked forever, particularly if you like your greens to have a bit more texture.  Only large shares are receiving collards today but everyone will receive them at some point later in the season.

Sungold Cherry Tomatoes
Slicing Tomato
Shallots
Cukes
Summer Squash
Potatoes
Broccoli - Small Share Only
Collard Greens - Large Share Only
Beans - Large Share Only

Happy cooking and have a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment