Sunday, October 6, 2019

Week 19

Our stand at the market moved fully into fall this week with a big pile of winter squash at one end.  I love setting up the squash display although it means we schlep a lot of squash back and forth to market.  We have been eating a lot of the new varieties and I am hoping I won't burn myself out on winter squash before winter arrives!  Our days are still packed with harvest, but we should find time for more clean-up as the week goes on.  Our seed garlic arrived this week and our garlic beds are almost prepped.

I had someone hold up a bunch of carrots at market not long ago and ask me how we get them to all grow the same size.  I pointed out to her that there were bunches of other sizes in the pile but that we sort them as we clean them and then put similar sized carrots in a bunch.  She looked at me like I was out of my mind!  I though of it as I was writing this because I am hoping to give you all rainbow carrots this week or next week and they can be hard to sort and size because the different varieties grow so differently.  I think to maintain sanity we will just put those in your boxes without the tops and randomly sized.

Lettuce
Carrots
Scarlet Queen Turnips - These can be enjoyed raw but they become sweeter when cooked.  We slice them thin and sautee them in butter.
Silver Bell Squash - An older variety introduced in the 1950's.  We grew it maybe 5 years ago and liked it a lot.  It will slowly turn pink in storage but it stays delicious into the winter and stores well.
Leeks
Potatoes
Garlic

Arugula - Large Only
Peppers - Large Only



No comments:

Post a Comment