Sunday, September 8, 2019

Week 15

We are going to hit you with one last dose of summer!  Your boxes will still have summer items in it in the coming weeks, but this box is chock full of summer.  The field cherry tomatoes have been slowly succumbing to disease over the last month and I think this rain will put that into overdrive.  The cucumbers and the zucchini are slowing down as well. 

We loose a crew member this week and another next week.  It feels like it is decent timing.  The very end of the month with two more people gone might get a bit iffy, but I am really pleased with what we have accomplished in the past two weeks and I think stuff looks solid going into fall. 

Kelly has been handling the water on the winter squash and I hadn't been over to look at the field (they are all by themselves in a different location) in a couple months.  I turned the water on last week and walked around.  I was pleasantly surprised.  Kelly had talked a lot about deer damage and while there was plenty of it, all and all it looks good.  The first thing I always look at is the size and quantity of the delicatas.  That is my indicator of how everything will pan out and I am happy with what I saw.

But back to summer for now...

Cherry Tomatoes
Cucumber
Zucchini
Sweet Pepper 
Arugula
Lettuce
Beets - I made this beet and red onion tarte tatin last week and loved the flavors in it.  The puff pastry, tart presentation made it very pretty, but I realized I don't care a lot about store bought puff pastry and since I have no intention of making it myself, I might skip that part.  However, I will most definitely be making the beets again.  I ended up draining a little liquid off before I added the puff pastry so it wouldn't get soggy when I flipped it and I think that was a good decision. 
Slicing Tomato - Large Only

No comments:

Post a Comment