Sunday, August 4, 2019

Week 10

Happy August. 

Last week's rain was a nice surprise and I am looking forward to this week's heat although it does present some challenges for harvest and transplanting.  It is great weather for killing weeds and ripening tomatoes. 

We went to a pot luck last night at a neighbor's house and I brought two dishes perfect for the hot weather.  One, was a Thai glass noodle salad dish, that was similar to this one, but I skipped the pork and the fresh shrimp since the host was grilling salmon and chicken.  I have made it with with pork and shrimp and it is great but it is also great and even more simple to prepare with out them.  I love the texture of mung bean noodles and I love dishes that can be adapted to whatever veggies I have on hand.  The fruit vendor at market had his first round of free stone peaches and I also made a caprese salad with tomatoes, mozzarella, peaches and Thai basil with a drizzle of an aged balsamic vinegar.  I have seen assorted versions on the Internet for a while now and had never tried one.  It was a hit and I really liked the slightly more anise flavor of the Thai basil with the peaches but I suspect regular basil would have been just as good. 


Lettuce
Garlic
Onion - hopefully bunched tropea longs.  They are great for salads and grilling.
Zucchini
Cherry Tomato
Broccoli
Slicing Tomato - Large Only
Bell Pepper - Large Only

No comments:

Post a Comment