Sunday, October 9, 2016

Week 19

Well, for some of you this is it.  Incredible.  I can't believe we are at the end.  Hopefully you all enjoyed the season.   At the end of each season when I thank you, I usually thank you both for supporting us and also for supporting local agriculture in general.  Obviously to continue doing what we do, we need good customer support.  On a rainy day, like yesterday, when our sales are no different then I would expect on a sunny day, I am reminded that we are fortunate.   When my sales pitch for the farm share is the same little email I have sent out for the past eight seasons and you all sign up and give your friends a better sales pitch so they sign up I am also reminded that we are fortunate.   We have amazing customers!  Most of our energy and brain space is spent on growing good produce but I do also think about the bigger picture of local agriculture and how important it is to me.  When you buy a farm share in hopes of having good food you also are throwing your support behind local agriculture in this community.   Thank you!

We are ending on a delicious note (those of you who are here next week, don't worry, more delicious stuff to come).

Rainbow Carrots
Parsnips - First dig of the season - can not wait to eat some of these - parsnip hash browns to a plate near me soon!
Potatoes
Onions
Lettuce 
Broccoli
Delicata Squash - This is our most popular squash,  and deservedly so.
Kale - Large Only
Candystick Dessert Delicata - Add On Veggie Only - Are all delicatas the same?  Even among delicatas that look similar there can be a wide range of quality.  We have settled on Zeppelin after growing a couple varieties.  This year a customer gave me some seed for a new delicata.  This delicata was developed by a seed saver in Oregon who selected for sweetness and a smaller seed cavity.  According to the description instead of a honey sweet flavor it has a richer fig sweetness to it.  I am normally suspect of all seed catalog descriptions but Carol Deppe, the breeder, is highly respected in her field and I am excited about the new variety.

No comments:

Post a Comment