Saturday, August 29, 2015

Week 13

When I sat down to dinner on Thursday night I looked at my plate and I thought to myself we have turned a corner.  It was a grilled steak,  a hearty slice of bread grilled an smeared with garlic butter, roasted fennel and a bunch of roasted kale thrown on top of everything.  Summer is fading and I think I am actually okay with that for once.  We will be having tomatoes, corn and zucchinis tonight for dinner so summer isn't gone for good, but it is defiantly waning.

Today we chose not to open the stand on due to the high wind advisory and instead we will open for a bit on Sunday.  We did our Sunday chores on Saturday and Sunday will be taken up mostly by having the stand open.  It felt great to have just a small change in our routine.  The work was the same but doing it in a different order was oddly refreshing and surprisingly confusing.  So many times today I had to remind myself that it wasn't Sunday.  I think one of the reasons why I am okay with shorter days, the rain, the big pile of kale on my plate is that I am ready for a little change in routine.  Normally I cling to tomato season and sunshine with desperation!

Hope you all found the storm to be a refreshing change of pace and didn't loose any trees (I can hear Kelly running the chainsaw on the tree that went down on our fence as I write this).

Carrots
Fennel - I love, love, love fennel.  It pairs well with tomatoes, citrus, apples, celery and seafood.  I love sautéing it until it caramelizes, I love it shaved in a salad, I love it just about anyway.  Cooking it softens the flavor.
Colored Bells - Another beautiful thing about late summer is red, yellow and orange bell peppers.
Potatoes 
Zucchini - No one has informed the current planting of zucchini that summer is on it's way out.
Broccoli
Tomatoes of some sort
Rainbow Chard - Large Only


No comments:

Post a Comment