Sunday, June 28, 2015

Week 4

Yippee, there are clouds in the sky.  All that sunshine was slowing me down.  The tomatoes on the other hand were thrilled with the sunshine.  I ate my first BLT on Friday.  I can't believe I ate a BLT in June.  It was a bit messy because cherry tomatoes don't really work that well on sandwiches.  Even when you cut them in half they want to pop out the sides.  So, it was a bit of a messy, unconventional BLT, but it was delicious.  The  weather forecast is calling for more tomato weather and I hope there will be more cherry tomatoes for everyone soon.

We have been busy on the farm, but not really getting as much done as we would like.  The weeds won the battle last week.  Hopefully we can take control of the situation this week.  The peppers and the winter squash have been covered with row cover since we planted them and we are going to remove the row cover this week.  I know there are some weeds in the beds that are as big as the peppers. I have peaked under the row cover and checked out both the peppers and the squash and they look awesome despite the weeds.  If you drive by the fields on South Bay on Monday you will see rows of covered squash and paths of lettuce and weeds.  If you drive by next week hopefully you will see some nice healthy squash plants, the two weediest beds of lettuce tilled in (the lettuce has either been harvested or bolted) and everything looking very orderly.  I love order in the fields even if it fleeting.

Your box is filled with lots veggies I associate with the 4th and with picnics this week.  The potatoes are little new potatoes and while I like to make a production out of most things they are amazing just steamed.  I have a feeling there aren't many snap peas out there and we are probably done with them but if we get a significant amount tomorrow your box may differ a little from below.  There is no lettuce this week but your cabbage can fill in in salads and provide an awesome crunch on sandwiches.  I ate a delicious slaw/salad at a neighbors house this weekend with thinly sliced cabbage, turnips, scallions, cucumbers, sesame seeds and a sesame vinaigrette.

Enjoy your veggies.

Hope you all had a nice weekend.

Carrots
Cabbage
Scallions
Bok Choy
Zucchini - yellow and green
New Potatoes
Cucumbers
Summer Turnips - Large Only
Raspberries - Only shares that didn't receive them last week

No comments:

Post a Comment