Monday, October 20, 2014

Week 20

Last year we grew a very small bed of fennel as an experiment.  We seeded it so that it would be ready late in the season when we were loosing variety on the stand.  We really liked having it and decided to plant a larger bed this year so that we could give some to the farm share and have some for the stand.  I seeded it as late as I thought I could and then it didn't get the water it needed when it was little.  For a while I wasn't sure if it would plump up to full size before we had a hard frost but fortunately we have had a mild fall.  Some people don't care for the licorice flavor but if you are a little on the fence about it the best thing to do is to mix it with something.  I love to caramelize it with onions.  It softens the flavor and brings out the sweetness.  It is also great in a slaw with cabbage and apples.

You also have one of our favorite winter squash varieties in your box today - orange kabocha.  It isn't the squash we eat the most of (delicata) but it is my go to squash for baking pies, cakes and breads. I also love it for soup.  It has a velvety texture and is super sweet.  It is also a good squash to use for Thai curries or braised squash.  I am including a recipe below that is similar to one I use however I like to leave the peel on the squash.  It helps it hold its shape and I hate peeling them.

Thank you all for your support!  We hope you enjoyed all the produce you received this year.

Carrot
Fennel
Potato
Orange Kabocha Squash
Cipollini Red Onions
Broccoli
Bunched Green
Green Cabbage - Large Only

Braised Kabocha Squash

No comments:

Post a Comment