Monday, July 30, 2012

Week 8

It was barely light this morning when I woke up.  The days are getting noticeably shorter.  As much as I love the long days of summer, the earlier sunsets provide us with a bit of relief.  We ate dinner early enough last night that I actually spent a few minutes reading before going to bed.  I collect old cookbooks and a friend picked me up a McCormick Spice cookbook from the 1920s at a yard sale last weekend.  I know you will be as excited as I am to make the endive, banana and pimento salad.  Yikes!  It makes for fun fun reading and I love the glimpse into the past.  Each page has either a quote on the top of it or some statement about the purity of McCormick spices.  The following one is on the first page.

Good Food is necessary for good health.  Use only the best of everything.  It is the cheapest in the end.  

Of course, I am choosing which wisdom to include based on my personal biases.  But including the bit about how if more women took pride in their profession (housework) there would be no need for divorce seems a bit out of date!

We hope you enjoy your vegetables and the meals you prepare with them this week.

Rainbow Carrots
Lettuce
Summer Squash
Sweet Onions 
Garlic
Wax and Green Bean Medley
Cukes
Beets 
Broccoli - Large Only
Salad Mix - Large Only


Zucchini/Summer Squash Bites 
Since there are no bananas in the box today I will skip the banana recipe I mentioned above and include one for summer squash instead.  I don't usually include recipes I haven't tried but a customer gave me this one on Saturday and it looks simple and fun.  She said they reminded her of tater tots which I will admit that if we didn't have a closet full of potatoes every winter I might be tempted to buy them.  You will need a mini muffin pan for these.  I imagine they would come out fine but a bit different if you made mini pancakes in a skillet.

1 cup grated Summer Squash
1/4 cup diced onion
1/4 cup grated cheddar or parmesan
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1 egg
salt and pepper

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and grease the muffin tin.
Put the squash in a clean dish towel and twist to squeeze out as much liquid as possible.  Use a dish rag you don't care about because sometimes it can stain a little.
Mix every thing together and divide between muffin cups
Bake about 15-18 minutes until browned

Roasted Beans with Garlic and Anchovy
I don't find the anchovy flavor to be strong but I also really like anchovies.  You might want to use a little less.

1 pound trimmed beans
3 smashed garlic cloves
3 mashed anchovy fillets
Finely chopped zest from one lemon
Squeeze of lemon
Olive Oil

Preheat oven to 450 degrees
Toss beans with oil, garlic and thyme and spread on a large baking dish.  It is best if they are in a single layer.  Roast, stirring occasionally for 12- 15 minutes until they are done.
Remove the thyme and toss in a bowl with the zest, lemon juice and anchovies.




No comments:

Post a Comment